Ezra Chiloba Hard-Pressed to Explain Source of His Net Worth of KSh 800m

 


Former Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Ezra Chiloba’s controversial past in previous posts alongside his Sh800 million wealth declaration played center stage during his vetting for the Los Angeles consul- General position.


During his grilling before the National Assembly Defense and International Relations Committee, lawmakers pressed him to explain his source of wealth which he has accumulated within a few years.


The 46-year-old was on the spot with the Nelson Koech(Belgut)-led committee seeking answers on whether his wealth was linked to scandals from one post to the other.


“There are some doubts about you, from what you have presented it shows you have never worked in the private sector meaning you have been in the public sector all your life yet you have an enormous Sh800 million in wealth. Can you explain that?” posed Kamukunji MP Yusuf Hassan.


Chiloba attributed his net worth to his fixed assets and ventures in agribusiness adding that he was employed while still in school.


“I have been very fortunate Mr. chair because I started working while still in school in 2001.  Currently I engage in agri-business and I plant and sell avocados in my farm in Kitale. Over the years I have also been able to save money derived from formal employment and my consultancy business,” said Chiloba.


MPs questioned the controversial exit of the nominee from the Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) and the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).


Chiloba was suspended from IEBC by his then boss Wafula Chebukati citing procurement malpractices ahead of the August and October 2017 elections.


In CA, he was accused of the alleged mismanagement of staff mortgages at the authority alongside nine other top officials at the authority who were said to have not followed due process in approving staff mortgages.


Baringo Central MP Joshua Kandie demanded to know why Chiloba was suspended twice stating that he might be trouble.


“I am afraid that this gentleman will go to Los Angeles and give us another scandal,” alluded Kandie.


On IEBC exit,Chiloba answered that he did his best during his tenure at the poll agency despite his dismissal.


“When I served at IEBC, I did my best to turn it around but focus has always been on what went wrong. There is a lot I did at the commission that even contributed to prosperity of last year’s elections.”


The Nominee further explained that the allegations levelled against him by the Communication Authority Board were withdrawn after the  Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) cleared his name.


“My exit from the authority was due to a conflict of vision with some people. I decided to exit because I did not want things to escalate to where there when I was at IEBC. I have since been cleared by EACC over the allegations of mismanaging staff mortgages,” said Chiloba.

Previous Post Next Post